When you’re looking for a lawyer, you are often in a vulnerable spot and looking for help. Knowing the right questions to ask your lawyer during an initial consultation can make finding the right attorney that much easier.
If you are looking for a lawyer to solve a specific problem or case, you need to know how comfortable the lawyer is with cases like yours and what their strategy would be to help you solve your problem. While every case presents different details, the attorney will likely find some similarities between your specific situation and a case they have previously handled. In this instance, you could ask the following questions:
- How long have you been practicing?
- What types of cases do you handle?
- What strategies have you used for similar cases in the past?
Next, you will want to ask what the possible outcomes are to your case. Some lawyers may only tell you what you want to hear, but the right lawyer will give you an honest look at how your case can be handled – if you can avoid court, what a settlement would look like, how to negotiate, etc. It doesn’t always end the way we would like, but if your lawyer has a good plan then you are in good hands. You will want to ask questions like:
- How do you plan to settle this case?
- Do you foresee any major issues with this case?
- What are some options for avoiding court?
Learning your role in your own case is important, as well as whom from the firm is going to be handling your case. Different lawyers desire different levels of participation from their clients. These questions would look like:
- Who from the firm is going to be working on my case?
- What do you need from me moving forward?
- Who should I call with questions about my case?
Finally, you will want to ask about money. You need to learn how much this will cost you as the client, and how the lawyer will be charging you for their services. It can be a sensitive topic, but it is important information. You could ask the following questions:
- How do you charge clients for your services?
- Can you give me an estimate of the total cost of my case?
- What is the payment plan for my case?
At Thooft Law, we are happy to answer all of your questions – even the hard ones. We will be open, honest, and forthright with the information pertinent to your case. Our team has helped clients in many different situations and can help you, your business, or your family as well. Call us at 651-485-1254 or email [email protected]. Check us out on Facebook, Thooft Law, LLC.